Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Gov. Haslam Confused About How Laws Are Made

Seems Gov. Bill Haslam does not know how government works.


"After careful review of your letter, I have determined that the Tennessee Department of Education is the appropriate agency to address this type of inquiry, and therefore have forwarded your letter to Commissioner Kevin Huffman's office for consideration."

No, see, the new law before you, right now, is your responsibility since the legislature stripped away the ideas of debating policy from the state's Dept. of Education.

Now if this response means that Gov. Haslam will not sign Senate Bill 0893 and instead veto it and say "this is a decision best left to the Dept. of Education" then I would be stunned. And will write an apology.

Gov. Haslam does seem to comprehend and understand political games though - check out how he handles the anti-science bill as reported by Tom Humphrey:

"Haslam was asked his views on the bill last week after announcing plans to use federal funds to build three new Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) schools in the state.

"I don't know that I have any great insight there for you on that one," Haslam said, adding that he had heard of the bill but knew little about what was involved. The governor said he plans to ask state Board of Education officials about it.


"I think it is a fair question as to what the General Assembly's role is, I think that's why we have a State Board of Education," he said. "I think the General Assembly, though, does represent people and their votes and thoughts matter there."

Way to say nothing at all, Gov. Haslam.

Rest assured, you will be saying plenty - and none of it good - if you sign the bill and make it a new law. 

UPDATE: The Goldilocks Complex


See Also:


Legislation for Hillbillies

2 comments:

  1. Oh my god. He's such an idiot.

    This explains why he signed that bill overriding Nashville's non-discrimination ordinance, and then acted REALLY REALLY SORRY about it.

    I guess he truly doesn't know what his job is.

    This is very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:33 PM

    I think these pass-the-buck responses are pretty typical of his approach. When I wrote a letter expressing my concerns about the jobs buses, I got a similar response that directed me back to *the agency receiving the money for the buses,* who of course thought it was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete