Friday, December 23, 2005

Camera Obscura - Write The Caption Contest


Here's a few things for you on this non-normal Friday movie post.

First -- feel free to make up your own caption for the following photograph. And no, it is not from the movie "King Kong". (And thanks too go to the Rodeo Monkey for showing me the national value of monkeys in general.)

Also, I have to hand out just a few lumps of coal for some folks who have made this Christmas season a time of greed, hatred and lies.

First Fox News in general and also Fox host John Gibson, who used falsehoods and fear about the holiday to increase his book sales with a dubious example of writing (and also it gave him airtime to screechingly whine in a feeble attempt to "prove" his ridiculous viewpoint and more importantly to sell a few hundred thousand copies of his Book of Lies, called "The War On Christmas: How The Liberal Plot to Ban Christmas Is Worse Than You Thought."

Another title could be "Please Buy My Book Or I'll Shoot This Dog" (apologies to the National Lampoon for use of their headline.) What a twisted excuse for journalism.

So, just for fun, make up any caption you wish for the photo here and add it in the comment section.

And you can also find a whole heap of great monkey stories over the last few weeks at Rex L. Camino's Blog of Doom. That story about Paris Hilton's pet monkey attacking her is my favorite story of the year. (See "Paris Monkey Attacks" Nov. 16th post for the first of many stories.)

Oh and one more question you may or may not want to answer - Why do I title my Friday posts "Camera Obscura"? My answer will appear next week.

Feliz Navidad, Merry Ho-Ho, Happy Holidays and don't monkey with my Christmas again.

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:06 PM

    1. What monkey business am I doing sitting here?

    2. Holding a vigil for my lost cap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:46 PM

    George W. Bush presides over the lighting of the White House Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:22 PM

    "Man, that cough medicine sure was good."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:38 PM

    "Go on Queer Eye For the Monkey Guy," they said, "it'll be fun," they said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Trish!! Yeah, that one had me laughing so hard I choked til coffee came out my nose!
    Merry Trishmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:04 AM

    I told you I don't swallow!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:05 AM

    I told you I don't swallow Santa!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erg! The one thing that makes anything that sucks OK...
    It swallows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Season's greetings from the 3rd Bush twin, Flora.. the child left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sande --
    I thought the law said "No Child Left behind"???

    but oh, yeah ... that's a monkey.

    Maybe that was the Grand Marshall at this year's Scopes Monkey Trial Christmas Parade!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:48 PM

    first thangs first:

    My caption:

    Bush to Rove:

    "Dammit Karl, I know I'm supposed to be going for the 'Godfather of Soul' thing but, it looks too damn gay!"

    Re: Obscura.

    Couple theories:

    The world was too stupid to put it into syndication?

    I won't even start on the "visionary publisher" Fishhead er..Fishman.

    You weren't as glib,witty or loquacious as either of these cats:

    http://www.break.com/articles/siskelebert.html

    Happy ho ho Joe. I'm about to head for the healing springs of Hamblen m'self. Wish I knew where to find you. I'd pour ye' a cup o cheer.

    itchybro

    ReplyDelete
  12. okay, some hints about the title Camera Obscura ...
    much of the info about the movies and the movies themselves tend toward the obscure or barely known.
    also, folks like itchybro above there have associated my writing with that title since i first used it back in the mid 1980s.

    but there are two or three other reasons, which, alas, will have to wait until next friday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:59 PM

    "The new Pope is settling in nicely....."

    And, you're welcome!

    "Camera obscura" is Latin for "dark hole". I think that's self explanatory.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're welcome Rodeo/Yule Monkey!
    As was said best in The Simpsons epsiode when they stole Mr Burns yacht for a party in international waters:

    "ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife fight!"

    and that's a good clue you've offered on the use of Camera Obscura ... stay tuned, more details will follow!!!

    ReplyDelete