Sunday, December 31, 2006

A Protest Against The Year 2007

A group has organized in France to protest 2007. They don't want it - no new year, no more years period, and ultimately an end to Time itself.

The group calls itself Fonacon and declared:

"
The members of the anti-New Year front, including several otherwise conventional local businessmen and women, dressed up in hoods and masks.

"It is about time that the passage of time ended," said one of the hooded organisers. "We are fed up with getting older. Why should we follow the fashion? The planet is getting older and warmer. Not us. Stop this mad race towards death."

Certainly seems to be a growing problem and resentment with any and all holiday observances, with what they are called and why and how they are observed. I suppose it was inevitable that once there was a "War on Christmas", then why not a War on Time?

Time is an issue for us all, yes. Various cultures say we are on the edge of the year 2007, others say Jan. 1, 2007 is actually Tevet the 11th, 5767 and some say we are currently in the year 4704.

Time could be stopped - but then what do we do? Einstein seems right in saying that the reason we have time is so that everything doesn't happen at once - though I must admit that the more I have traveled through Time, the more it does seem to all happen at once anyway. And I've read enough science-fiction to know that stopping Time usually brings bad results. I mean, somewhere there is an official Atomic Clock and if Time stopped, then I suppose everything would go boom.

I've heard it said that someone is "living in the past" or "living for today", so perception seems to be the key to time. At least that's the way I see it.

One of the most ominous phrases I have ever heard is "There is no Time like the present." That just gives me the creeps.

Perhaps Groucho Marx said it best - "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

2 comments:

  1. I have oft thought that everything other than the present micro-moment was an abstract thought because it only exisist in our mind. Of course that was back when I smoked a lot of pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could save time in a bottle...

    We had a very different kind of protest here in the Valley. On our way home from our New Years Eve poker night we passed a group of protesters holding big banners that read "Legalize Ferrets in 2007." Now those people have too much time on their hands!

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete