After checking with a few sources about a local protest against illegal immigrants in Hamblen County, a few details are quite disturbing -
- Armed officers on the Courthouse Roof (reported in the local newspaper print editions)
- Nearly 100 law enforcement officers on site (who pays for that?)
- Videotaping all those in attendance
- Tasering a disabled vet who wanted to bring a flagpole with the American flag onto the site
- A helicopter buzzing the crowd
Like others, I don't think much of the anti-immigration stand, but they did have a permit and this IS still a free nation (isn't it?).
Video footage here and R. Neal has more details here (via KnoxViews)
UPDATE: To clarify the point about armed officers on the roof of the courthouse, it was reported in the Sunday, June 25th edition of the Citizen Tribune, in an article titled "Opponents of Illegal Immigration Rally in Hamblen":
"Everyone was searched, and a THP videographer and still photographer documented the event. Two men equipped with high-powered binoculars - and presumably, hihg-powered rifles - were stationed on top of the courthouse annex."
I don't think the word "sniper" quite fits the armed officers on the roof, and after re-reading the article, I cannot verify they were even there.