Monday, January 12, 2009

The New Uncle Sam Abroad, or Joe The Plumber's Self-Reflexive Truth-Search

Samuel Joseph "Call Me Joe" Wurzelbacher, hired to make video reports from Israel about the war with Hamas for Pajamas Media spends much of his time talking about himself and denigrating reporters on his "search for the truth" about the war.

No info on what the causes of this war are - heck he couldn't even name the people whose bombed out house he inspected. He did say the threat of missile attacks from the Hamas makes him angry.

But it's been his comments to the press about the press that has been generating coverage too:

"
I don't think journalists should be anywhere allowed war. I mean, you guys report where our troops are at. You report what's happening day to day. You make a big deal out of it. I think it's asinine. You know, I liked back in World War I and World War II when you'd go to the theater and you'd see your troops on, you know, the screen and everyone would be real excited and happy for 'em. Now everyone's got an opinion and wants to downer, ah, down soldiers. You know, American soldiers or Israeli soldiers.

I think media should be abolished from, uh, you know, reporting. You know, war is hell. And if you're gonna sit there and say, "Well look at this atrocity," well you don't know the whole story behind it half the time, so I think the media should have no business in it."

So, war coverage is bad - and that's why he is working as a war reporter?

His 10 days of work for PJTV is sure to help sell his new book, which is likely why his publicity agent told him to go after the PJTV exposure. Score this one Publicity 1, Truth 0.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11:16 AM

    All professional journalists have an "agenda"... quite unlike Mr. Plumber. All this time I thought I was so stealthy in my treasonous posts to the dark side. But he saw right through me. Mercy!

    Ann the Demon Reporter of Bleak Street

    ReplyDelete